My all time favorite post happened in 2012: https://nujakcities.wordpress.com/2012/11/25/im-speaking/
This was my first PASS speaking engagement and pretty big milestone for me. Fact is, I really just found a topic that I am truly passionate about. I don’t get to practice hacking at work so it is really a second life for me. If you want to take a journey to the dark side, here are some of my favorite posts on hacking.
- https://nujakcities.wordpress.com/2012/09/03/ethical-computer-hacking/ A good primer before you dive into the dark side.
- https://nujakcities.wordpress.com/2012/03/20/building-up-to-sql-server-security/ I wrote this before I actually did any “red team” activities.
- https://nujakcities.wordpress.com/2012/09/06/sql-brute-force-poc/ This is when I got into some really fun stuff.
- https://nujakcities.wordpress.com/2012/09/11/sql-brute-force-poc-alternate-ending/ Because I wanted an encore.
- https://nujakcities.wordpress.com/2012/09/21/common-sql-server-security-mistakes/ This is a good wrap up to my SQL hacking posts.
- https://nujakcities.wordpress.com/2012/12/22/dont-click-that-client-based-attacks-with-set/ I sense a lot more coming on this topic in 2013. This post includes a rare picture of me.
There was one other topic I enjoyed writing about, statistics. I imagine this is because one of our main production servers had some issues finding bad query plans because of stale statistics. Whenever I spend that much time at work digging into a problem it gives me a lot to write about.
I took another leap this year and started adding and suggesting indexes. I had always considered this a design issue (ie: not my problem) but sometimes things get pretty bad. I have access to all the tools to sift through an environment of over 100 SQL Servers and find the worst offenders. This year I actually had some success with that process.
- https://nujakcities.wordpress.com/2012/02/03/baseline-something-to-do-while-things-are-working/ It’s a great idea to take a baseline before doing any index work.